Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hello Everyone,
Wow! So much has happened since I stepped off the plane on December 27. My first 10 days in Nicaragua were spent on AMOR (A Mission OutReach) which was a great transition into the Nicaraguan culture. After staying at Rancho Ebenezer, we stayed at Nicaraguan Christian Academy Spanish also known as Nejapa. NCA is a branch of the Nehemiah Center. The Nehemiah Center is an amazing organization that helps bring together many different Christian organizations that are working in Nicaragua. It was amazing to see the work that God has done and is doing in Nicaragua. The center helps organizations work together with a vision for change in Nicaragua, which helps prevent organizations from being counter productive to each other. The organizations range from education like NCA and Worldwide Christian Schools, agriculture like Farmer to Farmer, and many other areas like business and medicine. On AMOR we spent a week at NCA Nejapa, we laid a brick walk way and painted the new library and repainted the classroom buildings. NCA Nejapa is a Spanish speaking school that is targeted at educated in the middle class in Nicaragua. There is not a large middle class in Nicaragua, and many organizations target either the very poor or the wealthy.
I am going to be working at NCA English. The students are taught in English, but some of the teachers are Nicaraguan with limited English skills so they teach in Spanish. One of my supervising teachers speaks very limited English, but can understand some English. It's going to be a challenge, but there is support at the school from the administrators to help me. The school has about 230 students from preschool to high school. Each class has about 15 students in it. We start school on Wednesday, and I am excited to meet the students and start teaching. I am going to be mainly working in the PE department, but I will also be working in Bible department.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. Even though, I have been in Nicaragua for about 2 weeks, I am trying to get adjusted to life at NCA and find my place. I am also excited but also nervous about teaching. I just want to do the best job that I can with the limited resources at the school and my inexperience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home