Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Finished with Hebrew!

I took my Hebrew Final today....It feels so great to have that gorilla off of my back. I started the course almost one year ago today. I remember visiting my friend Sarah Franken in Chicago during my Thanksgiving break. I had so many naive dreams and aspirations about Hebrew during that time in my life. After Sarah went to work, I found my way to the nearest coffee shop. I ordered coffee and a scone and opened up my bright green Lambin Hebrew Textbook. The following events are still a little unclear because I was completely disoriented and utterly confused after paging through the "Introductory Paragraphs," reading, and then rereading over and over. I was so confused and didn't even know how to formulate questions. I remember feeling a huge lump forming in my stomach which eventually migrated to my back which was filled with despair, confusion, hopelessness, and anger. I had to change my attitude that Hebrew was something that I had to endure and grit my teeth and bear.
But I'm finished with 6 credit On-Line Hebrew class, it's over and I passed. I don't think I passed the final exam, but I passed the class. That's what counts. I may seen over dramatic but until you have experience it don't judge. It sucked me dry-spiritually, emotionally, intellectually. I'm told that when I take the Old Testament exegetical class on Jonah I'll begin to like Hebrew and even see some usefulness. I'm a little skeptic, but hoping that it's true that this last year hasn't been a waste of time spending hundreds of hours in front of computer. Myself worth isn't found in the grade that I get from a stupid 10 question multiple choice quiz that tries to trick me into getting answers wrong. (example: One of the answers for the quiz was either Poel or Po'el-who cares how the English spell the verb category for the Hebrew verb stem? I still knew what it meant!) I'm done, and I'm happy. I'll savor it for a couple of minutes, but then I have to return back to the reality that the quarter is ending in about a week. I have to get back to writing my systematic theology paper; it's a never ending cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home