Saturday, June 07, 2008

Hmm...too much time...

I keep thinking that I'm going to get back and update everyone. Well it's been a while, and I can't remember everything that has happened.
1. At the beginning of May, I went home for Tulip Time. I had a great time with my family and friends. Also, I ate a TON of food which is the main point of Tulip Time.
2. I finished the end of my second year of seminary on May 16. It was horribly busy, and I felt that I did mediocre work. I've gotten some of my grades back, and they were not as high as I was hoping. Luckily my scholarships don't count on a GPA neither will my job. There's not much difference between 3.6 and a 3.5, well that's what I keep telling myself. I can't believe I have 2 years of seminary past me.
3. I started a 2 week summer class on May 19, yeah I had a weekend before I started classes again. NOT enough! I was still pretty burnt out. The class was on Urban Ministries but there was only 2 of us in the class. The other guy was in his upper fifties, and he help me know it everyday. It was a hard class to go to because discussions were a little lopsided. I had to write a short paper and then a 15-18 page paper. This almost killed me because I couldn't focus that long. Anyways, I choose the topic of Spiritual Warfare. I don't really remember learning about it in school or church. The CRC has had some discussion lately due to the Synodical 2007 Study Report on 3rd Wave Pentacostalism (which is a review of the stance in 1973). Also CRCpublications has published two books that touch on the subjects-Signs and Wonders: Reformed look at the Spirit's ongoing work by Algera and Spiritual Warfare: what the Bible teaches, what you need to know by Jeff Stam. The main thing that I came away with after writing the paper is that the Devil works on 3 fronts. Evil works through our sinful nature (indirectly-also referred to as fleshly desires), the world and it's evil systems, and the devil's and demon's direct involvement (the cosmic warfare of good and evil). In Reformed Circles we are really good at recognizing the first two-our sinful state and the evil world systems, but we shy away from the third. We are scarred that we'll be labeled fanatic Pentecostals or charismatics to name things as a the active, direct work of the devil. But it's a reality the devil is active in our world-in North America. We should be able to name evil-the source of it-without trying to put the blame on our actions. Some things are just out of our control because Satan is assaulting, attacking us. The ONLY thing to do is pray for God's intervening. We can't do anything, Satan's too powerful. Now the danger (which many Reformed people are validly concerned about) is becoming consumed with the work of the devil by trying to name and rank the demons or living in fear of his actions. We cannot live lives of fear, but we live in lives of hope that Jesus has conquered the Devil through Jesus' death and resurrection. We live in the Kingdom of God, and the devil has been defeated. When Jesus comes again the Kingdom of God will come to full completion. There will be no more sin. This is what we must focus on-this is our hope and joy. We must acknowledge the evil in the world and try to diminish as much as possible. But when it comes down to it, we have to have faith that God will do the fighting for us. He will continue to bring forth His Kingdom in this world. (Maybe I should be come a preacher?!? Haha, NOOOO way!) I just wanted to share that with you.
4. I finished my paper on Sunday, and started a new class on Monday.... In between finishing and Monday, I got a flat tire. 3.5 hours later, I was back on the road. I had to get 4 different people to help me....so annoying! I've finished my second class on "The Theology and Practice of Pastoral Ministry." It was a great class. The only downside is that it's over and it was 6 hours every day Mon-Thur and 3 hours on Friday. I'll write what I took away from that class after I've finished the papers and books. Plus, this post is getting a little long...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home