Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I got in!

Last night I found out that I'm going to be an FYF leader this summer! (I was nervous because there were more applicants than leader positions.) Calvin Seminary runs a 3 week program called "Facing your Future" in July for high school juniors and seniors. The program is focused on encouraging the students to seriously consider ministry as a life long vocation. Ministry, in this context, is focused on working with the church or denominational agencies. (Ministry in the general sense is what we as Christians are called to in all of life whatever our job is.) The students spend about half of the program in Grand Rapids learning from seminary professor lectures, visiting various religious institutions, theologically reflecting in small groups, and having a little fun doing it. Then in the second half they go to an excursion site to see concretely ministry in the world like church planting with Home Missions, World Relief, World missions work. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to work with high school students again because I'll be able to apply some of the things that I've learned from seminary. Also, I'll hope to renew my calling/excited to do ministry with them...sometimes I get too caught up and bogged down doing homework and getting good grades that I forget about the ministry calling.

In other news, I've trying 2 new things. I'm taking salsa lessons with a friend. I'm terrible at it-horrible...but hopefully I'll get better. It's fun, but frustrating at the same time. I'm learning to play ping-pong. We have a table at seminary, and it's a nice change of pace during a day of class. I'm not ready to take on the Korean students, but I'm beginning to get as good as the Americans. I've been working on my topspin forehand-luckily my tennis skills are somewhat beneficial.

1 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger kate vw said...

congrats on FYF! that will be awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home