Sunday, May 07, 2006

I went to Tulip Time for the first time in 4 years; it was a good time. For those that doesn't know what Tulip Time. Once a year, my hometown celebrates its Dutch heritage, by having 3 days of parades, dutch food stands, dutch dancing, and whatnot. From the time I was 2 years old to a senior in high school, I only ever missed one Tulip Time parade in high school.

My sisters and I...aren't they cute???
It's a family thing...My mom and her 3 sisters and my cousins...We're all dressed in Dutch costumes from the same Dutch provience Marken. Obviously, we don't wear them normally. We are going to scrub the streets with brooms, and the men carry yokes with buckets of water. It's a Dutch tradition to scrub the streets clean for our Tulip Queen to ride on in her horse drawn carriage. It's fun, even though it seems a bit silly.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

sarah i am so jealous right now. i want to go to tulip time! your dutch costume looks great. i'll be sure and show sam and the koreans what a traitor you are to your heritage :)

speaking of koreans - jess, jason, their friend jon and i went to a korean resturaunt the other weekend. it was good. i like kimchi (is that how you spell it?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home