Friday, May 19, 2006

Well...I've been a workaholic this week. I work at Vermeers 40 hours a week. My job right now is paiting doors grey; it's getting a bit old. The paint we use is super sticky, so it hard to put on and even harder to get off your skin and hair. I am covered with paint speck s on my arms and head, oh well hopefully they ware off. Also, I have just started a waitressing job, it's nice to have some spending money. I work 4 nights in a row this week. The problem is I have to be at the restuarant at 4:30, and I don't get off of work at Vermeers until 3:30. It's hard to get a breather inbetween the 2 jobs.
I also have decided that I'm going to Calvin in the fall. I met with the recruiter from Vienna Christian School, and we had a great conversation. I just didn't feel pulled or called to go there. If I just went there because it sounded fun, I don't think I'd survive there. It's hard to commit yourself to live somewhere different for 2 years with only a week or so to decide.
Here's what I've been weighing in my mind...

Pros to Going
1. Good teaching experience-I'd get some teaching experience under my belt and maybe make me more focused in school.
2. Calvin Seminary will still be there in 2 years.
3. In Europe-I'd be able to travel to Italy on a weekend! The amazing places to visit and food to try!
4. Good environment of the school community

Cons to Going
1. I was looking forward to spending the summer at home and making some $$ at a summer job. If I went to Austria, I'd have to leave in July.
2. I am a little burnt out from constantly moving and packing up. In year in college I'd pack and unpack my things 6 times in a year. I was really looking forward to living in Grand Rapids because it's a bigger town than Sioux Center or Pella! And it is going to be different change from what I'm used to living in.
3. Next time that I go overseas, I want it to be long term (8-10 years). I don't want to breeze in and out of my students lives, they get that enough from other teachers. It seems like a lot of teachers who teach overseas only stay 2-4years, and I think it's hard on the students.
4. I have recieved some financial aid for Calvin, and I may not be able to get the same amount if I re-apply a couple of years later.

I know that some of you were hoping that I'd go to Austria, but I really think this is where God is leading me. You have to put off your vacation plans for another 4 years, then I'll know where you can come can visit me!

5 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i could send you an email, but i always love it when people post on my blog so i'll do the same.

i am happy for you sarah. i am glad you have been able to make a decision and be at peace with it. we have been praying for you and will continue to do so. vienna would have been an adventure, but Calvin may be an even bigger one.

i'll email more "details" later. my 11th graders are waiting for me.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

yeah!! CALVIN! good choice I think! :)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jeffy said...

My cousin and I are tenatively planning a trip to europe over the winter.

He has a freind in Austria that will be there until may

we may have been able to visit... oh well

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Rachel:) said...

sounds good sarah, go where God is leading and you have peace about. Calvin will be an adventrue all its own! Enjoy your crazy working! Cheers

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Kunnari said...

sometimes both options are good, but choose which one is excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home