Friday, March 09, 2007

Reflections

Good things that are happening in my life:

1. Things are staring to warm up in Michigan, and it is supposed to get up to 45 today.

2. I got gas yesterday in a near by town that was 20 cents cheaper than in Grand Rapids

3. Two of my classes were canceled today.

4. It's the weekend.

5. It's Sarah Franken's Birthday today.

6. Good friends at seminary that support and love me.


Reflections on the Winter Quarter

The grades are starting to roll in from winter quarter. After putting so much into quarter (emotionally, physically, spiritually, whatnot) it's hard to view grades without any emotional attachment. Everyone wants good grades; I want good grades. I am used to getting good grades. I've been told over and over grades don't matter in the big scheme of life. I know this is true. But right now, they do...

I handed in a paper that I had spent about 45 hours on and anguished over. I really learned a lot about myself and the topic of Christ's atonement, but in the end I got a C. I was really diassappointed.

After working so hard, it's nice to get affirmed at the end. If you just work extremely hard and learn a lot during the semester, but the professor's evaluation of your work is poor, then what?

Seminary is an uphill battle at times, and sometimes you need a boost and support to keep going on by a professor. It's hard not to have grades measure you whether it's your intelligent, abilities, or even self-worth.

I know that my self-worth is more than grades that I'm a child of God. Hopefully, if I keep telling myself and having people remind me, I'll fully believe it.

3 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Hey buddy. Those grades can be a killer for personal motivation... I hope you are finding time to develop your spiritual life amidst all this schoolwork! Keep up the good work!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Rachel:) said...

Sarah, you are amazing, it is hard to put in all that work and not get a grade reward, but you are still so bright and i truly admire you for going on to seminary!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger sarah said...

hey toots. you know, you totally kick butt in my book. I'm sure your paper was more amazing than anything I could have ever written...plus you survived the quarter. You worked your tail off and everyone knows it...you did say you learned a lot about yourself. that's worth a lot more in the long run than a letter grade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home